My Time to Shine

   The time has come for my favorite section, the audio. It’s my strongest skill in the group, so naturally, it’s my favorite. The first step to audio editing is extracting and analyzing the sound from each clip. I have to go segment by segment to ensure we have clean and crisp-sounding audio. As previously mentioned, we had terrible luck with audio during filming.  This was very difficult for me, but I succeeded to the best of my abilities.

  So, when you extract the audio, you can slice the clips to remove pieces that won't work for you. It was a tedious process that took me at least 8 hours. I have to listen with both headphones in so I can pick up the background noises if there are any. Once I’ve cleaned them up to the best of my ability, I have to make sure the audio matches what’s on the screen. This is very difficult with dialect. You can only tweak it so much before the words are out of sync with the mouth movements. Once that tedious process is done, I must layer in sound effects. Those are typically used from editing software or downloaded from YouTube. They are usually straightforward, besides placing them in the right spot and fading them in and out correctly for as seamless audio as possible. Then I listened to it thrice to ensure I could catch anything I missed. It’s a funny process I turn off my fan and sit with both headphones in to make sure I can pick it all up. This is a lot, but I enjoy the fine combing of details in projects.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Short Film Review

The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule but schedule your priorities!

Clips and Time Crunching